Burger Van Insurance

Burger Van Insurance

Request A Quote
<a href=https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.mobilers.co.uk" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Trustpilot</a>

As the owner of a mobile catering business, your van is essentially your livelihood. It's your kitchen, your storefront, and your transportation all in one. Therefore, securing a comprehensive burger van insurance is every bit as vital as having a great menu.

Understanding the need for burger van insurance

It's no secret that running a mobile food business carries its own unique set of challenges. Operating from a vehicle means you're not only responsible for the catering van business side of things, but also for the vehicle's maintenance and safety. This is where the need for a food van insurance policy comes into play.

While many vehicle insurance providers might not offer the right cover for catering use, specialist insurers understand the importance of your catering vehicle to your business. The right catering van insurance policies can help keep your catering business on the road, serving your customers, and generating profits.

Key features of burger van insurance

With a myriad of insurers available, it's important to understand the key features that a comprehensive burger van insurance policy should include. Here are some of the benefits you should look for:

  1. Cover for modified vans: Most burger vans are modified to suit the business needs. Your policy should provide adequate cover for these modifications.
  2. Coverage for permanent fixtures: Your burger van likely contains various fixtures, like cookers and other essential equipment. Ideally, your policy should cover these items as standard.
  3. Personal accident, breakdown and windscreen cover: These are additional features that provide added protection and peace of mind.
  4. 24 Hour claims line: Accidents can occur at any time. A 24-hour claims line ensures you can report incidents promptly, without any delay.

Choosing your burger van

When setting up a burger van business, one of the key decisions is selecting the right vehicle. Whether you prefer the robustness of a Ford Transit, the reliability of a Mercedes Sprinter, or the vintage charm of a Citroen H van, the choice is endless.

However, remember that your catering insurance may depend on the type of vehicle you choose. Some insurers base their premiums on the type of van and its intended use, rather than the make and model. So, whether it's a hot food van or an ice cream van, your insurer needs to know the specifics.

At Mobilers we can arrange cover for a host of different catering vehicles, from Hot and Cold Food Dispensers to Ice Cream Vans, Jiffy Trucks and even non-catering vehicles.

Vehicles over 3.5 tonnes can also be quoted for, along with any fleet policies. Values ranging from £1,000 to £200,000 may be covered.

As well as cover for your vehicle, we can also arrange cover for your fixtures and fittings, which can often exceed the value of the vehicle itself.

Third-party towing risk is also covered under these policies, as well as fire cover (even whilst cooking).

Policy benefits can include*:

  • Competitive premiums with select insurers
  • Full fire cover as standard
  • Permanent fixtures and fittings covered
  • Mirror bonus available
  • Flexible payment options

*Policy benefits, features and discounts offered may vary between insurance schemes or cover selected and are subject to underwriting criteria


To speak to one of our friendly operatives call

01384 429 903

Frequently Asked Questions

Operating a food van is not just about cooking and serving food, it's also about ensuring the vehicle, the equipment, and the business itself are all properly insured against potential risks.

  • Vehicle insurance. This is not only a legal requirement, but it's also crucial to cover any damages or accidents that might occur while driving.
  • Public liability insurance is a must-have. In the hustle and bustle of serving food in public spaces, accidents can happen, for example, someone might get injured near your van. Public liability insurance can cover legal expenses and compensation claims in these instances.

Running a burger van can be a fun and profitable venture, but like any catering business, it comes with risks. So, what insurance do you need for a burger van?

The first type of catering van insurance cover you may want to consider is public liability insurance. This provides a safety net for you in case a member of the public suffers an injury or their property incurs damage due to your enterprise. For instance, if a customer slips and tumbles close to your van, this cover could potentially handle any compensation costs.

Secondly, you'll need motor insurance for the mobile catering van itself. This is mandatory in most countries and covers you in case of an accident. But don't forget, a standard motor insurance might not be sufficient for a catering van. You might need a more specific policy that has coverage for business use.

In addition, product liability insurance is a smart move. This covers you if someone becomes ill or injured as a result of your food product.

Lastly, consider getting employers' liability insurance if you have staff working for you. This covers you if an employee gets injured or sick because of their work.

Your previous claims history can significantly impact the cost of your insurance. Insurance providers use your claims history to gauge the level of risk you pose. If you've made a number of claims in the past, insurers may deem you as a high-risk customer and increase your premiums accordingly.

Employers' liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people. It offers protection against claims from employees who have suffered an injury or illness arising out of their employment. The cover available complies with the UK's compulsory employers' liability law.

Employers' liability cover can include:

  • The legal fees involved in defending a prosecution under the Health & Safety at Work Act.
  • Contingent Motor Liability insurance cover which will indemnify you (rather than your employee) whilst he or she is using his/her own vehicle in connection with your business.

Burger vans or catering vans, as they are often called, have become a ubiquitous sight in many parts of the world. Some of the most favoured spots for these vans include busy city centres, where office workers and shoppers are always on the lookout for a quick bite. Festivals and outdoor events also draw a large crowd, making them prime locations for a burger van. University campuses and sports venues are also popular, with students and sports fans appreciating the convenient, tasty food options right at their doorstep.