Latest News

Can a food truck sell alcohol in the UK?

Are you a food truck owner in the UK wondering if you can sell alcohol alongside your delicious dishes? Well, you've come to the right place! In this article, we will explore the possibility of selling alcohol from a food truck in the UK and discuss the licencing and legal requirements you need to fulfil.

food truck sign

Selling alcohol from a food truck can be a great way to enhance your customers' dining experience and boost your profits. So, let's dive in and find out what it takes to bring the perfect combination of food and drink to your mobile culinary venture!

When it comes to selling alcohol from a food truck in the UK, there are specific licencing and legal requirements that you must adhere to.

These requirements ensure that you are operating within the law and maintaining the safety and wellbeing of your customers. From obtaining the necessary licences to meeting alcohol sale restrictions, you will need to navigate through various regulations.

However, with the right knowledge and preparation, you can successfully offer alcoholic beverages alongside your mouth-watering menu items, creating a unique and memorable dining experience for your customers.

So, let's explore the ins and outs of selling alcohol from a food truck in the UK and discover the exciting possibilities it can bring to your business!

Licencing and legal requirements

Selling alcohol from a food truck is not as simple as it sounds!

Before you get too excited about the idea, it's essential to understand the licencing and legal requirements involved. In the UK, selling alcohol requires a specific licence, and this applies to food trucks as well.

To sell alcohol from your food truck, you will need to obtain a premises licence.

Licences you may need to sell alcohol in the UK:

  1. Premises licence: This is a vital licence you need for selling alcohol in the UK. It relates to the specific geographic location where the alcohol sales will occur. For instance, this could be a pub, a restaurant, a convenience store, or a music venue.
  2. Personal licence: This is a licence granted to an individual to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol. It's necessary for businesses where the sale of alcohol is a regular activity. For example, the landlord of a pub would need a personal licence.
  3. Temporary events notice (TEN): This licence is required if you intend to sell alcohol for a short period, such as at a one-off event or festival, for less than 500 people.
  4. Club premises certificate: If you're running a social, sporting or political members club such as a rugby club, and you want to sell or supply alcohol to your members on your club premises, then you'll need a Club Premises Certificate.
  5. Alcohol wholesale registration scheme (AWRS): If you plan on selling alcohol to other businesses, you'll need to register under the AWRS. This scheme is designed to combat alcohol fraud.
  6. Late night refreshment licence: If your business operates between 11pm and 5am, and you intend to sell hot food or drinks, including alcohol, you'll need a Late Night Refreshment Licence.
  7. Off-licence: If you're planning to sell alcohol that will not be consumed on the premises, like a retail shop, you'll need an Off-Licence.

This licence is issued by the local authority in the area where you plan to operate. The application process can be quite extensive, and you will need to provide details about your food truck setup, including how you plan to store and serve the alcohol.

Additionally, you may need to provide evidence of your personal suitability and undergo background checks.

It's important to note that not all local authorities permit the sale of alcohol from food trucks. Each council has its own regulations and policies regarding alcohol licencing, so it's crucial to research the specific requirements in your area when you are pitching up at the best UK cities for food trucks.

It's also worth considering that obtaining a premises licence can be costly and time-consuming. Therefore, it's essential to weigh the potential benefits against the additional expenses and effort involved before deciding to sell alcohol from your food truck in the UK.

Alcohol sale restrictions

Know the limitations on alcohol sales

To fully understand the regulations surrounding the sale of alcoholic beverages, it's important to be aware of the various limitations imposed by the law.

In the UK, there are strict rules in place to ensure responsible alcohol sales. One of the key limitations is that alcohol cannot be sold to anyone under the legal drinking age, which is 18 years old.

It is the responsibility of the food truck owner to cheque the age of customers and ensure they meet the legal requirements. Failure to do so can result in serious consequences, including fines and potential closure of the business.

Another important limitation on alcohol sales is that it is illegal to sell alcohol to someone who is already intoxicated. Food truck owners must be vigilant and refuse service to individuals who show signs of being heavily intoxicated. This is to prevent further harm and promote responsible drinking.

Additionally, there may be restrictions on the hours during which alcohol can be sold. It's crucial for food truck owners to familiarise themselves with local licencing laws and adhere to any specific regulations regarding alcohol sales.

By being aware of these limitations and following the law, food truck owners can ensure they operate within the legal boundaries and maintain a safe and responsible environment for their customers.

Storage and serving of alcohol

Storing and serving alcohol is essential to maintaining its quality and ensuring a delightful drinking experience. When it comes to storing alcohol in a food truck, it's important to consider the space limitations and temperature control.

You need to ensure that the alcohol is stored in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight and heat sources. This will help preserve the flavour and prevent spoilage. It's also crucial to keep the alcohol bottles securely stored to avoid any accidents or breakages while the food truck is in motion.

In terms of serving alcohol in a food truck, it's important to have a designated area for preparing and serving drinks. This area should be separate from the food preparation area to avoid any cross-contamination. You should also have the necessary tools and equipment, such as a bar station, glassware, and ice, to ensure that the drinks are served properly.

Additionally, it's important to train your staff on responsible alcohol service and ensure that they check IDs and follow legal drinking age regulations.

Proper storage and serving of alcohol not only ensures the quality of the drinks but also contributes to the overall experience for your customers. By taking the necessary precautions and following the guidelines, you can create a safe and enjoyable environment for alcohol consumption in your food truck.

Remember, maintaining the integrity of your alcohol offerings is key to providing a memorable and satisfying experience for your customers. So, pay attention to the storage and serving of alcohol in your food truck and let your customers indulge in the delightful flavours you have to offer.

Considerations and challenges

When it comes to opening a food truck that sells alcohol in the UK, there are a few key considerations and challenges to keep in mind.

First, you need to think about the cost and investment involved in obtaining the necessary licences and permits to sell alcohol. This can be a significant financial commitment.

Additionally, you will need to have a plan in place for handling drunk or intoxicated customers. This includes ensuring the safety of both your customers and staff, as well as complying with legal requirements for serving alcohol responsibly.

Cost and investment

To sell alcohol from a food truck in the UK, you'll need to consider the costs and investment involved. Firstly, you'll need to obtain a premises licence to sell alcohol, which can be quite expensive. The cost of the licence will depend on various factors, such as the location of your food truck and the type of alcohol you plan to sell.

Additionally, you'll need to factor in the cost of purchasing the alcohol itself, as well as any necessary equipment, such as refrigeration units or barware. It's also important to consider the ongoing costs, such as restocking inventory and maintaining the necessary licences and permits.

You'll need to purchase or lease a suitable vehicle, which can range in price depending on its size and condition. Additionally, you'll need to invest in equipment and supplies specific to selling alcohol, such as a bar setup, glassware, and a point-of-sale system. Check out how to run a mobile bar on a blog elsewhere on our site.

Here are some of the costs you might expect when looking to gain licences to sell alcohol with your food truck business:

Quick note: In the UK, the cost of licences required to sell alcohol is not fixed and can vary depending on several factors such as the rateable value of the premises, the type of license required, and the area where your business is located.

  • Personal license: The first type of license you might need is a Personal License, which allows an individual to sell or authorize the sale of alcohol. This is usually needed by the designated premises supervisor (DPS) in a venue. The cost for obtaining a Personal License is approximately £37.
  • Premises license: In addition to the Personal License, you will also need a Premises License which gives permission for a specific location to sell alcohol. The cost for a Premises License can range significantly based on the rateable value of the property. For example, for properties with a rateable value not exceeding £4,300, the cost is £100. For properties with a rateable value exceeding £125,001, the cost is £635.
  • Annual fee: Alongside these initial costs, it's important to note that there is also an annual fee to maintain the Premises License. This also varies based on the rateable value, ranging from £70 for properties with a rateable value not exceeding £4,300, to £350 for properties with a rateable value exceeding £125,001.
  • Late night levy: If you wish to sell alcohol between midnight and 6 AM, you may also be required to pay a late-night levy. This is set by the local council and can vary widely.
  • Additional costs: Be aware of potential additional costs associated with obtaining these licenses. For example, the application process for a Premises License requires you to advertise your licensing application, both at the premises and in a local newspaper, which can cost several hundred pounds.
    • Additionally, there might be costs for training and licensing courses for staff, which can add up over time, especially for larger businesses.

It's also important to note that these costs can change, and it is always recommended to check the updated fees with your local council or on the UK government's website.

* Fees described above are subject to change depending on regulatory changes and local government requirements. Please check with your local council for more information on required licences and fees.

Handling drunk or intoxicated customers

Handling drunk or intoxicated customers can be a challenging task for any business owner in the hospitality industry.

When running a food truck that sells alcohol, it is important to have effective strategies in place to ensure the safety and well-being of both the customers and the staff.

One approach is to establish clear guidelines and policies regarding alcohol consumption and responsible behaviour. This can include limiting the number of drinks served to each customer, providing non-alcoholic options, and prominently displaying signs that promote responsible drinking.

Additionally, it is crucial to train your staff on how to handle difficult situations and intervene when necessary.

This can involve recognising the signs of intoxication, diffusing potential conflicts, and knowing when to refuse service to customers who are visibly impaired.

In order to further understand the importance of handling drunk or intoxicated customers in a food truck that sells alcohol, let's take a look at a comparison table that highlights the potential risks and benefits.

Potential risks Potential benefits
Drunk or intoxicated customers may cause disturbances or engage in unruly behaviour, potentially impacting the overall atmosphere of the food truck. Selling alcohol can attract a wider customer base and increase revenue for the business.
Intoxicated customers may pose a risk to themselves and others, especially if they attempt to drive after consuming alcohol. Offering alcohol can enhance the overall experience for customers, providing them with a more enjoyable and social environment.
Dealing with intoxicated customers may require additional time and resources, such as training staff and implementing security measures. Selling alcohol can create a unique selling point for the food truck, setting it apart from competitors and attracting customers who specifically seek out alcohol options.

By carefully managing the potential risks and benefits, as well as having proper protocols in place, a food truck that sells alcohol can navigate the challenges of handling drunk or intoxicated customers effectively.

This ensures a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone involved while maximising the potential advantages of offering alcohol on the menu.

Are there any specific legal requirements that food truck owners need to follow when selling alcohol?

To sell alcohol from a food truck in the UK, you must comply with specific legal requirements. These include obtaining the necessary licences, ensuring responsible alcohol service, and following regulations set by the local authorities and Alcohol Licencing.

Are there any restrictions on the sale of alcohol at certain times or locations?

customer buying alcohol from seller

Yes, there are restrictions on the sale of alcohol at certain times and locations. These restrictions vary depending on local laws and regulations. It is important to cheque with the relevant authorities to ensure compliance.

Can a food truck offer beer and wine pairings with their food menu?

Yes, a food truck can offer beer and wine pairings with their food menu. However, this will depend on whether your business has the required licences and permissions in place before serving alcohol.

What are the rules and guidelines for storing and serving alcohol on a food truck?

To store and serve alcohol on a food truck, you must adhere to the rules and guidelines set by the UK. Ensure proper storage conditions, obtain necessary licences, and follow responsible service practises to comply with legal requirements.

For more information, visit the UK Gov website by clicking here.

Frequently asked questions

Can selling alcohol at my food truck be profitable?

Venturing into the realm of beverages can indeed be a profitable move for your food truck business, especially if you consider including alcohol. Not only does it offer a high profit margin, but it also enhances the customer experience, making your food truck a one-stop destination for a complete meal.

However, it's important to note that selling alcohol comes with its own set of regulations and licenses. So, is it profitable for your food truck to sell alcohol? Yes, but you'll need to ensure you adhere strictly to the laws and guidelines in your locality.

Can I refuse to serve someone alcohol at my food truck?

As a food truck owner, you have the right to refuse to serve someone alcohol. This could be due to various reasons such as the person being underage, visibly intoxicated or behaving aggressively. Serving alcohol comes with a responsibility to ensure safety of all customers and contribute to maintaining public order.

Can I advertise alcohol at my food truck?

There are regulations in place to control the advertising and sale of alcohol. To do so, you will need a valid alcohol license, and your advertising should conform to the Portman Group Code and the Alcohol Marketing Communications Code.

It is essential to ensure that your advertising is not encouraging excessive or inappropriate drinking or targeting minors. So go ahead, add that craft beer or boutique wine to your menu, but remember - responsible advertising is key. Always check with local authorities or a legal advisor to make sure you're in compliance with all local laws and regulations.


Share this on: